3.01.2009

Why Do I Read Fan Fiction?

Once I become invested in fictitious characters, I refuse to give up on them until they've resolved all of the angsty, drama-laden woes and issues that need to be tended to. If I must, I'll spend hours of my time imagining alternative story lines to achieve this end. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that there's a massive community of people who do exactly this, and not only do they create their own story lines, but they write them down, and post them online for the world to see!!

The Harry Potter series is the most inspiring source of story I've ever encountered in my life! Imagine the reaction I felt as a veil of secrecy lifted itself from my mind. I am not alone! There are people out there, massive numbers of them in fact, who fantasize the same way I do. AND, they have the nerve to write their stories down and post them.

Ironically, I have never felt the need to write a Harry Potter fanfic of my own, but I have imagined a few scenarios that I would have preferred JK Rowling to have taken the story towards (that's not in any way to insinuate that I was in any way disappointed by her work. She is the all mighty goddess of fiction in my world). The brilliant, fantastic result for me is that I can indulge the need to fill these voids by searching through the numerous fanfic sites and combing through the story lines until I find a story that grabs my fancy.

I have 3 catagories of fulfillment that I turn to when the mood strikes me, which is often! I mostly want to read Snape-centric stories that feature Hermione, The Malfoys, Harry, and Lupin.

Category One: Post Order of the Phoenix stories: This realm of stories is based on our impression of Snape at the end of book 5, when we think he's a pureblood, that there's likely valid justification for his horrible demeanor, and there is a world of possibility that he will be front and center at the downfall of Voldemort. The stories are set anywhere from the kids' 6th year at Hogwarts to several years in the future, where the war is possibly over, or not. Snape is a force to be reckoned with, Hermione is brilliant and an intellectual match for him, Lupin has more power and recognition for his leadership abilities, and best of all, Dumbledore is still alive. Many of the authors in this realm depict Albus Dumbledore as a much more openly manipulative, but still very endearing character.

Category Two: Post Half Blood Prince stories: These are more angst driven, where all opinion of Snape is that he is evil and dangerous, since he's blatantly murdered Dumbledore. Hermione is usually the only one who believes in his innocence, and so the likelihood of a romantic bond between the two of them is stronger and more controversial in this realm. Harry is usually impulsive and headstrong, grief driven and irrational at times. Ron is typically immature and not particularly helpful or sympathetic. Lupin is usually involved. Many of these stories feature Snape as particularly unhappy and waspish, always calculating, and often almost so mean that you want to give up on him. However, I never, ever, give up on him.

Category Three: Post Deathly Hallows stories: These are the ones that disregard or re-write the final chapters of the last book, so that Severus Snape lives on. It is usually Hermione that returns to find him alive and saves him. And then, he must rebuild his life. The plethora of opportunity to take these characters in so many directions is so very satisfying. There could be emotional aftermath that destroys relationships, depression that requires interference from an unlikely source, strange changes in behavior now that there is no Dark Lord to fear or answer to. And of course, everyone is now old enough to have sex!!

As I find the quintessential HP fanfics, I'll post reviews and brief summaries of the gems that I've encountered.

In the meantime, if your Harry Potter book or DVD collection is not complete, click here for a refined Amazon.com listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment