3.24.2009

Harry Potter FanFic Review: A Post HBP story

The Sacrifices Made by madamsnape78 (hosted by fanfiction.net)

I found this story back in early September, 2007, when I was seriously grieving the end of the Harry Potter era, and battling my inability to accept the death of Severus Snape. This story filled the void perfectly, although I gave up on it for a time because the lovely madamsnape78 was taking way too long for her updates, and my modern era, instant-gratification-oriented-HP fanfic-fiendish jones-ing sent me scampering off in search of another fix. However, I recently found it again, and was quite happy to see it had been completed, and so I hungrily finished it. It's interesting to see how my needs for fanfic fulfillment can change with the direction of the wind. Back in September of '07, I dug this story because there was minimal character development, and it simply picked up sometime after HBP, and went in a direction that was much more satisfying than The Deathly Hallows went. I've since read so many other stories that have been so much more in-depth in both story and character development that I almost dismissed it as lacking this second time around. However, it is a good read, and It fills the need to see Severus in hero mode without him being so unbearably bitter and obnoxious that it's a challenge to stay loyal to him.

In The Sacrifices Made, I had my need to see Draco in a good light met, got to have Remus in a power role, and the Weasleys as a warm family force, and yet had plenty of angst and character demise to keep things tense. Severus is smart and strong and emotionally obtuse enough to be canon-compliant, but he's still the hero I want him to be. All in all, it's a good weekend read, well structured with a good buildup of emotional tension and sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment