10.23.2016

Fan Fiction vs. Canon... Can We Keep It All Straight?

I'd been thinking a lot about my own perception of blurred lines of "canon" created by the multitude of fan fiction retellings or renegotiations of story lines, character traits, and imagined backstories. My memory of HP facts has been failing me recently. I've really only noticed when mugglenet.com tweets a quiz or question that I could have easily answered at some point, but now draw a blank.  I definitely have a flawed memory of certain events in Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, now that I've written three fanfics of my own, addressing the most horrible injustices in Harry's life that occurred when he was 15.

But now the new stories have come out, and I'm not keeping up with them (yet). I've wondered if the saturation of fan fiction would begin to dwindle down in the world of original Harry Potter fandom, now nearly 10 years after the release of the last book, perhaps redirecting to The Cursed Child, or to Fantastic Beasts.

One day a few weeks back,  I saw this comment on reddit addressing the subject and find it thought provoking at the very least and thought I'd share:

Comment from discussion Do you consider Cursed Child as canon?.

~cre8tvdeb

No comments:

Post a Comment